~ Dixie Andelin Forsyth
Here are five reasons from columnist Matt Walsh why cohabitation before marriage kills the relationship. These are observations from a layperson, but they are worth thinking about. CLICK HERE to read the original article.
In summary, his reasons are:
1. There is no commitment. How can you practice committing to someone by not committing to them? You either commit or you don’t. There is no halfway point. Marriage is marriage because of the eternal promise you made to your beloved.
2. Cohabitation puts the emphasis on the wrong things. It supposes that the relationship is a trial to see if the other person is worthy. You're going to find faults. Relationships don't work because the other person is perfect. They succeed because of hard work, humility, and compromise.
3. Living together before marriage makes it too hard to leave. If there is a serious reason to part ways, you will be grateful to not be entangled in mutual financial obligations, pet ownership, and mutual property.
4. You can figure out everything you need to know about someone without living with them. Things like whether they are honest, believe in God, have virtues and a good heart, and so on.
5) Cohabitation is modern. And modern divorce trends don't commend this practice. The old-fashioned way is associated with longer-lasting marriages.